The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify the police and inform the intended victim
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, I will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in insuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, I will take further measures without their permission that are provided to me by law in order to ensure their safety
- If my records are subpoenaed by the courts
- While I am working towards obtaining my LPC (License as a Licensed Professional Counselor), I consult about difficult cases with my supervisors, which helps the clients as well. However, last names and descriptions of clients are not discussed to protect confidentiality